Monday, January 11, 2016

Mailbox: from January 2016 Blog Entry



Dec 30, 2015
Anita (Sugie) Ellis 

12:31 PM (7 hours ago)

Dear Arthur:

Having lived in Trenton from 1950-75, and being involved in the city up to my ears, I really enjoy what you are doing and appreciate the effort it takes.  Herbie S and The Hon Mark Litzowitz (Markie to me, as we were all friends a long time ago). look great  in the picture of the Historical Society meeting!  You can tell them I said so.

Did you know there was a very big pageant in Cadwalader Park to celebrate Trenton's 200th birthday?  I'm sure all the pictures are somewhere in the archives.  There were almost 100 people participating.  If I remember correctly Rose Movich was the chairman.  It's a lovely memory.

I've been in Jerusalem for 40 years but my memories of Trenton, at the peak of its Jewish Community, are vivid and happy.  You are invited to dinner if you find yourself in Israel.

Cordially

Sugie Norman Ellis (Rob Norman's Mom)
On 12/30/2015 6:24 PM, Arthur L. Finkle wrote:


Anita (Sugie) Ellis 

I have a great story about the meeting held to decide how Trenton's community would respond to Israel's need at the time of the 6 Day War.  If you are interested, let me know.

Cordially

Sugie

----
Stanley D. Saperstein 

6:59 PM (39 minutes ago)





Art
Glad you can use it. Cindy has a lot pictures of men's club dances and other Jewish groups. Her father was involved for years with the men's club. We should get together and review them. We know who some of the people are you may know more.
We also have workmen's circle pictures in which Cindy's grandparents were members. We also have a picture of her grandfather's grocery store on Larlor Street.
Cindy's mother wrote a complete history of the Jews of Trenton as a founding member of the Jewish History Historical Society. That was the group Ozzy Zuckerman was President. I think the Trenton library has a copy of it.
I also have my father's man of the year award from the Jewish community center.
Stan

Sandra Rush

11:26 AM (8 hours ago)


Your email is timely. As you know, I have been working on an oral history of the Lamberton-Market-Union Street neighborhoods with my Aunt Edith Goldberg, and I have quite a bit of material. I still have two more tapes to transcribe, and I am trying to collect photos to go into the book (I say "book" because it will probably be about 100 pages or so). 

Sadly, my aunt passed away a couple of weeks ago. But I plan to resume work on the book as soon as I finish my obligations to my publisher for my third book (on math) and the second edition of my first book. My guess is that I will be able to start turning the transcriptions into a  book, which I will of course share with you and the Society, in February and March of this coming year. The challenge is getting the whole thing in chronological order, since she talked about everything under the sun. 

If it's okay with you, I will be sending you questions I might have as I work it. What photos of the area are available for publication without infringing on copyrights?  Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment