Tuesday, March 13, 2018

From the Mailbox February 2018





  

March 3 at 9:50pm

Mendy and Dave Kravitz two of the ,best in the "Valley of the Israelites" Son Alan took over and they moved to West Hanover St. When I bought this block for Urban Renewal
Barb Davidson Doctoroff I need to search but I have pictures of Union St. My mom’s family lived in several houses on that St


Abba Cargan has left a new comment on your post "Scout Troop 160 - 1956 Who can identify these Sco...": 

Hi there, this is Hank Cargan’s son Abba. I will look for more names if I can find them. 



Posted by Abba Cargan to 
Trenton Jewish Historical Society at February 19, 2018 at 6:35 PM


South Trenton Store Map 1940

Top of Form
Steven Seavey My family (Seavey) lived on Union Street 3rd house from the right.

Shirley Nabutovsky My first home was on Union Street below Ferry across the street from Parker School and Beerbons (sp?) grocery store and their Bar

Sally Segal Shenker My grandparents Segals Deli my dad and uncle grew up behind the store


Debbie Hafetz Babashak Hafetz kosher butcher shop was on market street catty corner to bens deli next door to the barber shop. My father passed away in 1956 and my mom ran the store until the early 60s.

Miriam Bebich Balitz Chickens may have been my grandfather's butcher store but I can't confirm. His name was Max Bebitch. Anyone know?


Sally Segal Shenker I remember your dad let’s stay in touch


Sally Segal Shenker Great to hear from another Segal

Joan Hallmark I was an Alexander, I had an aunt Besty Finkle. Her husband was

Joan Hallmark Arthur Finkle, are we related?

Brad 'Schultz' Greenberg As I remember...my landmarks, Ben's Deli, my Dad's business. Baran's Cleaners, Bobby a family friend. Cohn's, Kunis, our bakerys, Alexander's Drug, family friends, and their twin son's.
1


Jeff Lavine This is fantastic to see.... I was born home from the hospital to a 3rd fl apt in a building my grandmother owned at the corner of Market and Mercer. We lived there til I was 5 in 1955 and my earliest memories are of these stores. I often close my eyes and walk myself through them and remember the smells and the sights in them.


Rick Pollock we lived at 20 union st, until fall of 1955.

Brad 'Schultz' Greenberg I remember Ziggy Waldman's barber shop. Listening to Ziggy behind the curtain, by the manicurist, making bets at Liberty Bell, and other race horse tracks. A little 'bookie' action. All the while, the cops 'walking the beat' getting 'free haircuts. Of course, catty-corner at Ben's, always good for a half sandwich and coffee, no charge, for the Men in Blue:)
And...the first black policeman in Trenton, Percy, walking the beat making sure all was well. What a great time it was...
😏 What an awesome neighborhood. Truly a 'movie set' of the time...'Little Israel'...'Valley of the Jews'...and not so nice...'Jew Town'...it was what it was.
Bottom of Form

lougordon@aol.com
9:47 PM (13 hours ago)
to me
Art,
Thanks for this.  The South Trenton picture has a reference to my grandfather, Lou Gordon.
Also I am saddened to report the death of my cousin Sydney Gordon, president of the senior class
at Trenton High in the early 1950's. Another relative, Barry Goldman, who was born in Trenton
but who moved to Connecticut also passed away recently.

Lou Gordon

Thanks for communicating. Sorry for your family losses.

Art
E: [EXT] Trenton's Jews   
Inbox
x
Goodman, Michael S.
9:13 AM (2 hours ago)
to me


I was just looking at the pictures of my aunt standing in front of the my family’s bakery and think that our neighbors Kunes was spelled Kunis but cannot tell from the picture. 

Michael



Michael S. Goodman
Michael

In documents, I seen it spelled Kunes, Kunis and Kunitz (you have a cousin in Jersey City).

art


No comments:

Post a Comment